There are several reasons homeowners may consider the purchase of a new garage door, and one of these is as part of a garage conversion. This refers to any situation where you’re converting the garage into an additional room in your home, one that will typically be used for alternative purposes besides the normal areas like parking vehicles and storing items.
At Price’s Guaranteed Doors, we’re proud to offer a variety of residential garage door installation services in Salt Lake City and other parts of Utah, including for those looking to install a door that will help them complete a garage conversion. What are some of the common conversion types considered by homeowners, and what are a few of the most important themes to keep in mind as you complete this conversion? Here’s a primer.
Common Garage Conversion Types
Here are some of the themes homeowners often use for converting their garage space:
- Home office: This is one of the most common garage conversion options. With a door installed, homeowners can use their space to create an office for their home business or as a personal area where they can work from home and avoid distractions associated with going into an office.
- Bathroom: For those that live in colder climates and don’t want to heat up part of their house just to use the bathroom (such as during winter and/or other cold seasons), a garage conversion may be a good decision. With the installation of a new door, you can install both plumbing and heating to make your space habitable year-round.
- Game or play room: This is another popular option, and one that can be used by parents, kids, and other adults. Your new garage space becomes a place where you can invite the neighbors or relatives to play board games or cards with your family.
- Reading nook: Why should kids have all the fun? With a garage conversion, you can turn your space into an area where your family and friends can gather to read or relax. You can even use this as a relaxation area for yourself, where you can easily open up a good book or enjoy night time hobbies like reading.
Themes for Garage Conversions
If you’ve decided to convert your garage to any of the above purposes, or any other you’re considering, here are a few important concepts to keep in mind:
- Insulation: You want to make sure your garage is properly insulated so you don’t waste heating or cooling energy. While this typically isn’t too difficult with the help of insulation products, it can become quite complicated depending on how much work has already been done to the space.
- Drywall and flooring: Because these are the materials used in most residential walls and flooring, it’s important to keep them in mind. If you don’t already have drywall installed in your garage, then you’ll need to know how much work it is to install before beginning your conversion.
- Electrical wiring: Depending on your garage conversion plans, you may need to upgrade the electrical wiring. Make sure you know what kind of power supply is available in your garage and how much work will be necessary to make any necessary changes.
- HVAC connection: If you decide to convert your garage into a bathroom, game room, or any other type of space that will be in use year-round, you’ll need to think about how you can hook up heating and cooling systems.
For more on converting an SLC garage, or to learn about any of our garage door installation services, speak to the pros at Price’s Guaranteed Doors today.